Our first Travel Tavern event was a big success! We'd like to thank the 150+ people who turned out, our co-presenters at Tripping and Meet, Plan, Go!, and especially our eight storytellers who awed and inspired the audience with their stories from the road.
- Bob Scott kicked things off with an entertaining story about pretending to be a famous musician on the road, and skipping town before the performance! Watch now
- Allison Page told a touching and deeply personal story of loss and new beginnings while teaching theater at an orphanage in Thailand. Watch now
- Gigi Hanna, an expat, world traveler, and professional storyteller, was hilarious and engaging; as a solo traveler in France she learned what the expression "kindness of strangers" truly means. Watch now
- Ashley Cowan told us about the time she was "flopping" around Athens with her sister, navigating cobblestone rounds and flirtatious Greek men. Watch now
- Matt Werner narrowly escaped an intense background check while trying to leave Israel; he shared his tale of seven checkpoints and his long journey home. Watch now
- Sang S. Kim reminded us that even as we tell stories, we're also all a part of someone else's tale. Also, that cows do not make great wedding guests. Watch now
- Turner Wright inspired us to look beyond the place of travel and really see the people; he volunteered in Japan after the tsunami with All Hands and experienced a different side of Japanese life. Watch now
- Magician Michael Belitsos pulled a few tricks, told a few jokes, and reminded us why we travel. He also conjured up a globe -- nice touch! Watch now
After the performance, many stayed to mingle over drinks, reminisce about their travels, and share dreams of new adventures. We hope this is the first of many Travel Taverns where we can meet up and share experiences and inspiration fellow footloose travelers!