The Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel is firing up the grill and welcoming everyone to one of the most picturesque hostels in California, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the hostelling movement and the 75th anniversary of Hostelling International USA.
Join the fun on Sunday, August 30, and enjoy free food, live entertainment, docent-led historic tours, prize giveaways, and more.
Snack on free grilled sausages, tofu dogs, and natural sodas while taking in the stunning ocean views, and follow it with a strawberry shortcake or strawberry lemonade purchased from local grower Swanton Berry Farm.
Jam to the island sounds of Dr. Steelgood, an all-acoustic trio that performs an uplifting, ambient blend of reggae, Afro-Caribbean, jazz, and Americana-influenced music. With Kevin Di Noto on lead steelpan, Ron Work on bass steelpans, and Alex Work on drums/percussion, the band has been performing its innovative approach to steeldrum music for 7 years. Always surprising, this ensemble is also known for irreverently attempting just about any audience request on the steelpans.
Other festivities include an Elephant Seal Puppet Show (performed by Exploring New Horizons), and tours of the historic lighthouse grounds with State Park docents. Learn about the second tallest lighthouse on the West Coast, both during the tour and from the interpretive displays in the fog signal building.
At any point, take a break from the party and stroll down to Whaler's Cove -- adjacent to the hostel -- or along the Mel's Lane walking trail to take in the coastal sights. If the tide's right, you can also explore the tidepools 100 yards north of the hostel, which are teeming with aquatic life.
In addition to the prize giveaways at the event, partygoers can also enter to win an Anniversary Week Grand Prize Package, which includes:
- A three-night private room stay for two people at any HI-USA Golden Gate Council hostel
- A Flip Ultra video camera
- Two one-year Hostelling International memberships
- Two 27-ounce stainless steel Klean Kanteens
- Two 100% organic cotton zippered hoodies with original artwork by Michael Wertz
100 Years of Hostelling
This event is part of a series of celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the hostelling movement and the 75th anniversary of Hostelling International USA.
- Check out the full list of anniversary parties being held at Northern California hostels, August 23-30.
- Find information about anniversary celebrations being held at hostels across the U.S. and around the globe.
- Read more about the history of hostelling in Northern California and the history of hostelling worldwide.