The majestic Pigeon Point Lighthouse, one of the tallest lighthouses in the U.S., has been guiding ships safely along the California coast since 1872. Come celebrate that amazing legacy with our HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel, the California State Parks, and the Coastside State Parks Association on Saturday, November 16. Enjoy tours of the historic grounds, music, lighthouse videos, raffles, light refreshments, and much more at this free, family-friendly event!
The day's festivities include:
- Docent-led grounds tours: A "Native Plants Gardens Walk" at 11 a.m., and "History Walks" held every 30 minutes between 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Live music: The Lighthouse String Band performs from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., and the 5Ms take the stage from 1:30 - 3 p.m.
- Children's raffle drawings held hourly between 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., and a grand prize raffle drawing at 3 p.m.
- HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel open house from 12 - 3 p.m.
- Photography booth: “How to take a good lighthouse photo”
- Native plants sale
- Bookstore tax-free holiday sale
- Book signings by local authors
An icon of the Pacific coast, the Pigeon Point Lighthouse stands 115 feet tall. Named for the clipper ship Carrier Pigeon, which crashed near the point in 1853, the lighthouse is perched on a rocky, fog-veiled headland that's become a landmark for ships approaching the San Francisco Bay from the south.
Although the original first order Fresnel lens is no longer in use pending renovation of the tower, you can see the lens on display in the Fog Signal Building, where it's been housed since its removal from the tower in 2011. Check out Hostel Manager Jeff Parry's time-lapse photography of the lens reassembly here.
Funds raised from sales and raffle ticket purchases at the anniversary celebration benefit the renovation of the Pigeon Point Lighthouse. To donate directly to the renovation effort, please go to the California State Parks Foundation. If you can't make it out for November 16, visit us on another weekend to explore the lighthouse grounds with a docent-led guided walk, and delve into the fascinating history of Pigeon Point.
Novermber 16, 2013 10am - 4pm
Stay at the Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel, a historic, coastal hostel located next to a 141 year-old lighthouse.