16th Street and Highway 1
Montara, CA 94037
1 (650) 728-7177
GPS Coordinates: N 37 32.199, W 122 31.127
HI Point Montara Lighthouse is located 25 miles south of San Francisco and 7 miles north of Half Moon Bay. We're on coastal Highway 1 (also known as Cabrillo Highway) near 16th Street, between the towns of Montara and Moss Beach.
If traveling by car, please be cautious as the hostel driveway is hidden on a curve on Highway 1, a busy two-lane road.
From the North
We're located 25 miles south of San Francisco. Take Highway 280 south to Highway 1 south. Look for signs that you're entering the town of Montara -- it's a tiny town that goes by fast. Slow down; the hostel driveway is at the end of a right guardrail and isn't visible until you're almost there. Note: If you miss the turn and must turn around, see below.
From the South
Take Highway 1 north or Highway 92 west to Half Moon Bay. From there, our hostel is 7 miles north on Highway 1. As you drive north, our hostel is on the left. We do not recommend attempting a lefthand turn off Highway 1. Continue a few hundred yards and turn right onto one of the side streets. Turn around and approach the hostel from the north.
By Public Transportation
Despite our remote, peaceful setting, we're lucky to be accessible via public transit. It does require a number of transfers, especially if you're coming from the south. If you have any questions about how to get here, please contact us, and we'll be happy to guide you.
From either San Francisco International Airport or Oakland International Airport, take BART to the Daly City station. See "From Daly City" below.
From the south, take Amtrak to the San Jose Diridon station. See "From San Jose Diridion" below.
If you're coming from Santa Cruz, you can take Santa Cruz Metro to the San Jose Diridon station. See "From San Jose Diridon" below.
From Daly City
Take SamTrans bus 110 to the Linda Mar Park and Ride in Pacifica. From there:
- On weekday mornings, take SamTrans bus 17 to Main and 7th Street in Montara. Note – in the morning the bus does not go past the hostel on Highway 1. Guests need to travel to Main and 7th in Montara and then walk to the hostel. Walk south on Main (which becomes a pedestrian path) to 16th Street and carefully cross the highway to the hostel driveway.
- On weekday evenings, take the SamTrans bus 17 to 16th and Highway 1 in front of the hostel. Tell the driver where you're going, as 16th Street is not an automatic stop. Walk north 1/2 block on Highway 1; the hostel is on your left.
- On weekends, take SamTrans bus 17 from Pacifica to Main and 7th Streets. Walk south on Main (which becomes a pedestrian path) to 16th Street and carefully cross the highway onto the hostel driveway
From San Jose Diridon Station
Take CalTrain to the Hillsdale station. From there:
- On weekdays, take SamTrans bus 294 to Kelly and Main Street in Half Moon Bay, from there take the SamTrans bus 17 north.
- On weekday mornings, the 17 bus DOES stop near the hostel at Highway 1 and 14th Street.
- On weekday evenings, the 17 bus DOES NOT stop near the hostel. Guests should disembark at Main and 7th in Montara and walk to the hostel from there. Walk south on Main (which becomes a pedestrian path) to 16th Street and carefully cross the highway to the hostel driveway.
- On weekends, take the 17 bus to Main and 7th in Montara and then walk from there. Walk south on Main (which becomes a pedestrian path) to 16th Street and carefully cross the highway to the hostel driveway.