The following itinerary is based on a Full Day and Night program. Shorter and longer trips are also available. Please keep in mind that each OHA program's curriculum and schedule are highly adaptable based on the age and needs of your group so actual itinerary may vary.
- Arrive at the hostel and settle in. Hostel staff will show groups the best place to securely stow gear and food while on the OHA program.
- Introductions and name game.
- Group expectations and agreements for the day's adventure. Naturalist will cover safety on the trail, lead the group in an energizer, and introduce youth to the significance of the protected National and State Park lands about to be explored.
- Hit the trail!
- Hike through coastal scrub, ocean beaches, grasslands, and/or chaparral, with interactive activities and team-building games along the way.
- Lunch on the trail. Groups are encouraged to pack environmentally-friendly, "no-waste" lunches and minimize the amount of packaging, particularly plastic, that will have to be carried out.
- Resume hike and activities.
- Return to hostel for on-site orientation. Youth learn about the value of travel, and how hostel stays can facilitate meaningful intercultural exchange.
- Free time in and around the hostel. Activities vary depending on hostel location but may include gameroom activities like foosball, ping-pong, and boardgames, quiet reading time, or outdoor recreation.
5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Group coordinates dinner back at the hostel. Youth and chaperones can work together to prepare the meal in our fully-equipped hostel kitchens. Catering options may be available at some locations -- please contact our Group Sales department for details.
- Night hike portion of the OHA program begins. Be prepared for an exciting sensory adventure as we observe the sunset (depending on the time of year) and experience the magic of nightfall on the trail.
- Return to hostel. Closing circle and reflection on the day's adventure.
- Lights out. After a full day of experiential learning, youth and chaperones enjoy a well-deserved night's sleep in our cozy bunks and private rooms.