Help us build a more tolerant world with your donation today!
From stately lighthouses to National Parks, busy city centers to remote coastal locales, our Northern California hostel network is unmatched anywhere in the U.S., providing quality accommodations and educational programs to some 200,000 people from more than 100 countries every year.
As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, we are dedicated to promoting intercultural understanding, environmental stewardship, and tolerance through travel.
“The organization enables a great many people to travel whom otherwise could not do so, and it is obviously dependent on grants and contributions for a large part of its expenses. Though you might never have thought of this institution as an object of charitable giving, you definitely should.”
--Arthur Frommer, Founder, Frommer's Travel Guides
Overnight fees cover only part of our operational and program costs. Your tax-deductible contribution can help:
Introduce hostelling and environmental stewardship to underserved populations. The Outdoor Hostel Adventure program (OHA) transforms our local hostels into expansive classrooms where underseved youth get to experience the outdoors through hands-on learning, encountering wildlife, tide pools, native plants, star-filled skies, and the ocean, sometimes for the first time in their life.
* $50 enables one Bay Area youth to participate in a full-day OHA program and experience an overnight hostel stay
* $150 allows a group of 20 youth to participate in a night-time OHA program and experience a moonlit hike
* $1,000 provides bus transportation to a group of 20 youth to attend a full-day OHA program
Add private rooms and family accommodations and leave your name at our hostels
* $250-500 covers the cost of a bed
* $5,000+ endows one of the new family rooms
Or mail your donation (payable to HI USA) to:
HI USA Northwest Region
1212 Market Street #310
San Francisco, CA 94102
Thank you for your support!
In-kind donations are greatly appreciated because they help keep operational expenses low and support our Green Hostel Project.
Ideas for useful donated items include:
- Kitchen: dishes, pots, pans, silverware, and small appliances.
- Common Room: videos, travel guides, books, games, and comfortable furniture
- Maintenance: tools, vacuum cleaners, and landscaping materials are a few of the most requested items.
Typically we are unable to pick up in-kind donations. If you can’t deliver it to one of our hostels, contact us so we can discuss a solution.
If you support the work we do and believe in building a more tolerant world, please spread the word!
- Encourage family and friends to treat themselves to a unique weekend hostel getaway.
- Inform out-of-town guests that hostels can lower their vacation costs without compromising value.
- Invite colleagues to hold a coastside retreat or meeting at a lighthouse hostel with breathtaking views.
- Teachers, bring your students on a class trip to Sacramento, or an educational adventure at a National Park.
- Students, partner with our San Francisco hostels for an Alternative Break or service project.
- Group leaders, take advantage of our quality group accommodations at an unbeatable rate.
We appreciate your consideration. We participate in GuideStar, the standard for nonprofit accountability. To view our listing, click on the GuideStar logo below.