Save money every time you travel!
With your 12-month Hostelling International membership card, you'll get discounted accommodations at more than 4,000 HI hostels in 80 countries. Plus, as an HI member you’ll receive exclusive benefits and discount offers around the globe.
Join 3 million members who look for the HI blue triangle logo to get top-quality budget accommodations at a great price.
Hostelling International USA members enjoy:
- Access to more than 4,000 hostels in 80 countries worldwide.
- Access to 57 hostel locations in the United States.
- Coupon for a Second Night Free at several major U.S. hostels.
- Savings up to 70% on international phone calls, plus free e-mail access and voicemail through eKit.
- Complimentary basic international travel insurance and discounts on optional upgrades.
- Worldwide access to commission-free currency exchange.
- Discounts on Trek America.
- Discounts at restaurants, bars, retail stores, and attractions and more.
- A free directory of all U.S. hostels (on request).
For more information about membership benefits, please visit the national HI-USA website.
For about the same annual price as a travel magazine, an HI-USA membership card is your key to discounted accommodations in top destinations around the world. The additional member-exclusive discounts and special offers are enough to pay for the card many times over. If you're a traveler at heart, or one who believes in HI's mission, the value-added Lifetime membership can’t be beat.
HI-USA's membership categories are:
Adult (18-54): $28 per year
Senior (55 and over): $18 per year
Lifetime: $250 one-time
Daily: $3 per night
HI membership is required in order to stay at the following Northern California hostels: HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse, HI-Point Montara Lighthouse, HI-Sacramento, HI-San Francisco City Center, and HI-San Francisco Downtown. For most travelers, an annual membership is the best value, but daily membership is available for $3 per night. Please note that daily membership can only be purchased at check-in, and includes only some of the benefits (listed above) of annual membership.
Youth (under 18): FREE
Group membership is available free of charge to groups of 10 or more people from a school or nonprofit organization who are traveling together.
During business hours, call HI-USA Golden Gate Council in San Francisco at 1 (415) 863-1444 or the national HI-USA office in Maryland at 1 (240) 650-2100.
- At any HI hostel
- At the administrative office for HI-USA Golden Gate Council:
425 Divisadero Street, Suite 307
San Francisco, CA 94117
We are normally open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but we recommend calling in advance to verify hours: 1 (415) 863-1444.
Please note that Lifetime Memberships cannot be purchased in San Francisco; please purchase online or call the national HI-USA office at 1 (240) 650-2100.
By Fax or Mail
Download an application form (PDF) to fax or mail in.