Below is a list of job openings at the HI-USA Northwest Regional Office and our eight Northern California hostels. Please visit the national HI-USA website for employment opportunities elsewhere in the U.S.
- Overnight Front Desk Associate, HI-San Francisco Downtown
- On-Call Naturalist, Outdoor Hostel Adventures
- Maintenance Technician and Sustainability Assistant, HI-Pigeon Point
Overnight Front Desk Associate, HI-San Francisco Downtown
HI-SF Downtown is a 340-bed hostel located in the heart of San Francisco. The number one responsibility for all members of our staff is the safety and comfort of our guests. Anything that can be done to make the stay of each and every one of our guests more enjoyable must be given top priority. The overnight front desk associate assists with overnight front desk activities, ensuring excellent customer service to HI-SF Downtown guests. The overnight associate also assists with night auditing duties and must be able to accurately handle money.
- Act as a representative of HI USA and its goals in a positive and professional manner.
- Make guests feel welcome and provide friendly and excellent service.
- Deal with difficult situations calmly and professionally.
- Follow procedures in response to emergencies and act quickly to resolve time-sensitive issues.
- Maintain security and safety in the building, and enforce hostel policies.
- Accurate registration of guests in property management system.
- Process reservation requests, cancellations, and changes (via phone, Internet, or e-mail).
- Administer night audit duties and reporting.
- Work honorably and efficiently without constant direct supervision.
- Maintain appearance at reception: keep order behind front desk, keep common areas clean and clear, stock supplies.
- Work in conjunction with Activities Coordinator and management staff to promote hostel events.
- Handle money accurately.
- Minor cleaning duties.
- This position requires the physical ability to perform any task associated with the operation of the hostel.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager, Assistant General Manager, or Front Desk Manager.
Front Desk Manager
- Excellent customer service skills
- Computer literacy
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Service/hospitality or related experience
- Ability to climb stairs and access top bunk beds
- Positive attitude and sense of humor
- Ability to be flexible with scheduling and consistently work overnights
This is a part-time, non-exempt position working approximately 24 hours per week. Flexibility is needed as night and weekend hours are required.
This is an hourly position that includes a healthy benefits package with 75% employer contribution (Medical, Dental, Vision, etc.) as well as extra pay for holidays worked.
Please answer the following questions and FORWARD WITH YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER by January 15, 2015, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Have you stayed in a hostel before?
- When are you available to start?
- Are there days/hours you are unavailable to work?
- Do you have vacation plans or need time off in the next six months?
- Have you worked overnight shifts before?
HI USA is an equal opportunity employer.
On-Call Naturalist, Outdoor Hostel Adventures
Outdoor Hostel Adventures is an experiential environmental education program that introduces participants to the excitement of the natural world. Each year more than 1,500 participants encounter wildlife, tide pools, native plants, and star-filled skies during day and overnight trips at three Hostelling International USA hostels: HI-Marin Headlands, HI-Point Reyes, and HI-Point Montara Lighthouse. The hostels are located in unique coastal habitats that provide diverse settings for hands-on learning and discovery. More than 24,000 youth have participated in the program since it was established in 1986 by Hostelling International USA in Northern California.
The Outdoor Hostel Adventure Program is seeking an on-call Naturalist to plan and lead outdoor environmental education programs for participants of all ages in the Marin Headlands, Point Reyes, and Point Montara. Naturalists are assigned on an as-needed basis to conduct day and overnight programs introducing students and adults to the hostelling experience, while helping them to develop:
- An appreciation of and respect for nature through sensory awareness
- A sense of place for the areas that they are in
- An understanding of the principles of ecology, and the relationship between the natural and the urban worlds
- An awareness of human impact and dependence on the environment, and a sense of stewardship that promotes responsibility in their own lives
- Communication, teamwork, and leadership skills
- Lead groups of 10-20 participants in interactive environmental education activities
- Develop program materials
- Plan and implement programs according to group needs with other naturalist staff to plan and lead large group activities
- Administer program forms to teachers and group leaders
Goals and Expectations:
- Provide a safe experience for participants; handle emergencies responsibly
- Provide a fun and engaging experience for both students and group leaders
- Meet the goals and expectations of the teachers/group leaders
- Provide an inclusive environment for all participants
- Attend naturalist trainings
- Outdoor education/naturalist experience: training or experience in implementing a wide range of environmental education activities focusing on ecological concepts, team building, sensory awareness, and environmental awareness
- Experience working with youth ages K-12
- Prior experience working with inner-city youth and diverse populations preferred
- Ability to plan and develop outdoor environmental curriculum
- Flexibility in adapting to various group sizes and developmental abilities
- CPR and basic First Aid certification
- Knowledge of flora and fauna located at Marin Headlands, Point Reyes National Seashore, and Point Montara preferred
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and walk up to 6 miles over four consecutive days
Educational Programs Manager
This is an on-call position.
$140-$160 per day and evening program. Naturalists also receive free overnights at HI USA hostels and free Hostelling International membership.
Send cover letter and résumé to:
Educational Programs Manager
HI USA Northwest Region
1212 Market Street, Suite 310
San Francisco, CA 94102
No phone calls, please.
HI USA is an equal opportunity employer.
Maintenance Technician and Sustainability Assistant, HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse
HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse has 59 beds in both dormitory-style and private rooms. The property comprises 4 buildings, 12 rooms, 4 living rooms, 4 kitchens, 8 bathrooms, a hot tub, staff quarters, and a water well and tank. The hostel is located within a State Historic Park. The hostel serves 13,000 educational and recreational travelers annually, and is home to an environmental education program for school children, which operates six months a year. The hostel operates under HI USA and county sustainability requirements.
Maintenance Technician Responsibilities:
- 16 hours per week
- Maintain all hostel buildings, grounds, equipment, and furnishings in good repair at all times
- Ensure compliance with state and local building, health, and safety codes, HI Quality Standards, third-party and county eco-certification requirements
- Identify all on-going maintenance needs, prioritize and provide timely follow-through
- Formulate and administer preventative maintenance plan for entire site
- Report on and record tasks and maintain online check lists on daily and weekly basis
- Perform basic plumbing and electrical repairs and maintenance
- Perform basic carpentry projects including renovation of hostel buildings, fencing, etc.
- Prepare surfaces and paint interiors and exteriors of hostel buildings as needed
- Change and repair locks, deadbolts, laundry machines, vacuums and other hardware
- Repair roofs of all buildings as needed
- Maintain hot tub in good repair at all times including purchase of necessary supplies and compliance with county requirements
- Provide on-call assistance for emergencies at all times
- Repair and maintain equipment including purchase of necessary supplies
- Repair and maintain equipment including laundry machines, vacuums, stoves, refrigerators, hand and power tools, water heaters, small kitchen appliances, office machines, etc.
- Purchase tools and supplies required to perform job
- Keep workshop clean and organized
- Maintain accurate records of work performed
- Other duties as assigned by the Hostel Manager, Sustainability Coordinator and/or Operations Director
Maintenance Technician Qualifications:
- Experience in building trades or building maintenance field
- Demonstrated ability in plumbing installation and repair, minor electrical repair, rough and finish carpentry, painting, and roof repair
- Cooperative attitude and ability to work (and live) well with diverse group of people
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively without immediate supervision
- Accurate, neat and thorough record-keeping
- Flexibility regarding work schedule – working evenings, early mornings, holidays and weekends may be required
- Possession of a working vehicle, preferably a truck
- Hostelling experience and/or knowledge and appreciation for the mission of HI USA
This position will require a general interest in business sustainability management systems and sustainable tourism.
- 8 hours per week
- Lead preparation of the property level documentation, checklists, logs, etc. required for Sustainable Tourism Education Program™ (STEP) third-party Eco-Certification and the Bay Area County Green Business certification
- Collecting and entering data on a variety of sustainability and green-house-gas indicators
- Conducting property level waste audits
- Documenting non-toxic, biodegradable, local, certified organic, recycled and fair trade products used and/or sold on site
- Creating signage promoting local volunteer opportunities and sustainable tourism
- Editing HI-USA Sustainability Policy for use at property level
- Participating in external STEP Audit during the week of Sept 22, 2014
- Fulfill Bay Area County Green Business certification requirements
- Other related duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Ability to organize a wide range of information and data sets
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Proficiency in data entry, Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive
- General familiarity with databases and dashboards
- Ability to articulate high-level sustainability information both orally and in writing
- Ability to work professionally both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to coordinate workflow with Hostel Management and HI USA Sustainability Coordinator
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-past working environment
This is a 24-32 hour per week position; live off-site.
Submit cover letter with either résumé or application (call or pick-up at hostel office) to:
HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse
Jeff Parry, General Manager
210 Pigeon Point Road
Pescadero, CA 94060
HI USA is an equal opportunity employer.