Below is a list of job openings at HI-USA Golden Gate Council and our eight Northern California hostels. Please visit the national HI-USA website for employment opportunities elsewhere in the U.S.
- Assistant General Manager, HI-San Francisco City Center
- Front Desk Manager, HI-San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
- Hostel Assistant (Live Out), HI-Point Montara
- Hostel Assistant (Live Out), HI-Pigeon Point
Assistant General Manager, HI-San Francisco City Center Hostel
Hostelling International-San Francisco City Center is a 222-bed hostel serving over 40,000 people annually. The hostel is operated by HI-USA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting intercultural exchange, environmental stewardship, and world peace through hostelling.
The Assistant General Manager is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Hostel, Front Desk, Back Office, Housekeeping, Food & Beverage, and Maintenance departments, as well as assisting the General Manager with budgeting and long-range planning.
- Supervise department managers and hostel staff, ensuring smooth and efficient operations
- Provide a positive work environment free from conflict for all employees
- Ensure the safety and security of hostellers and the hostel at all times
- Ensure standards of customer service, cleanliness, security, and accuracy are met
- Directly oversee food and beverage operations
- Work closely with Group Sales, Marketing, and Accounting departments
- Liaise with corporate partners, vendors, officials, and contractors
- Ensure accurate use of our reservation system and daily accounting
- Monitor, process, and maintain bookings, including internet reservation systems and group reservations
- Respond to and resolve problems, emergencies, and complaints
- Recruit, orient and train staff
- Inventory control and ordering
- Manage expenses according to budget constraints
- Complete daily audit paperwork, weekly financial reports, bi-monthly payroll, monthly accounting reconciliations
- Initiate, facilitate, and conduct maintenance, cleaning, and other hostel projects
- On-call duties, including overnight access
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years previous supervisory experience as well as a demonstrated talent for managing and motivating staff
- Experience with Food & Beverage operations, ordering, ABC compliance, etc.
- Understanding of risk-management principles in the hospitality environment
- Strong accounting skills and familiarity with hospitality-related financial and revenue management concepts
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a hectic, fast-paced work environment, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet assigned deadlines with little supervision
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills, proficiency in MS Office & property management systems
- Impeccable customer service with sensitivity to guests from diverse backgrounds
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Conflict resolution skills and an ability to keep calm, especially during emergencies
- Cash handling and reconciliation skills
- On-call experience, flexible schedule (this job requires you to work nights, weekends, and holidays as needed)
- Experience working in a non-profit environment
- Two years practical, hands-on experience in a hostel, hotel or similar environment
- Experience with and appreciation of independent travel, backpacking, and hostel culture
- Additional language ability - Spanish a big plus
Hours and Benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position requiring flexibility with weekends and holidays as well as on-call availability. Benefits include vacation, holiday, and sick leave, as well as employer-paid medical, dental, vision, acupuncture/chiropractic. Potential for advancement within the organization. Employees receive a free HI membership as well as complimentary overnights at HI-USA hostels. Salary DOE.
Please e-mail cover letter and résumé to:
Molly Salyer, General Manager
No Phone Calls Please
Application Deadline: March 3, 2014
Hostelling International – USA is an equal opportunity employer.
Front Desk Manager, HI-San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
The Golden Gate Council of Hostelling International USA is seeking a full-time Front Desk Manager for the San Francisco Fisherman’s Wharf Hostel, located in historic Fort Mason within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
From San Francisco to Point Reyes, Sacramento to the San Mateo coast, our hostels provide quality accommodation and educational programs to some 200,000 people from more than 100 countries every year. Our hostels make travel more affordable and accessible for everyone, and provide unique lodging in sought-after destinations.
HI hostels are not just enjoyable places to stay — they also foster a stronger global community. Our mission is to promote intercultural understanding and environmental stewardship through travel, whether through our Green Hostels Project, World Travel 101 workshops, or youth programs like Outdoor Hostel Adventures, Cultural Kitchen, and the Community Walls mural project.
HI-San Francisco Fisherman’s Wharf is a 174-bed hostel which hosts approximately 20,000 overnight guests each year. The Front Desk Manager is responsible for day-to-day front desk activities, ensuring excellent customer service to HI-San Francisco Fisherman’s Wharf guests. This position is responsible for providing a welcoming atmosphere and ensuring guest and public contact at the front desk runs smoothly and efficiently and in accordance with hostel policy.
- Ensure safety and security of guests and their belongings
- Maintain high standards of customer service and accuracy
- Work with guests on a daily basis, professionally handling guest issues
- Manage all day-to-day operations related to front desk (and entire facility on weekends)
- Staff hiring, training, scheduling, and disciplining
- Manage front office expenses in accordance with occupancy and budget
- Inventory control and monthly reconciliation reports
- Supervise reception staff to ensure all tasks are completed accurately and on time
- Develop a high degree of proficiency with our property management software
- Check and maintain accuracy of reservations, check-ins, and documentation
- Perform daily audit accounting, cash reconciliation , and bank deposits on weekends as needed
- Remain on-call for Front Desk staff after hours
- Oversee general reservations for all booking sources
- Enter group reservations and interface with our Group Sales department
- Work with Housekeeping Manager to ensure smooth hostel operations
- Work the Community Engagement Coordinator to initiate and promote activities and events
- Maintain front desk organization, training materials, and manuals
- Regularly work weekends with flexibility to work evenings, nights and holidays as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager or Assistant General Manager
- High degree of responsibility and motivation
- Excellent people skills and judgment
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously
- Familiarity with hospitality check-in and reservations systems/methods
- Two years front desk work at a hostel or related property
- Previous supervisory or leadership experience
- Problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
- Ability to act effectively in a crisis
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong cash-handling skills
- Computer literacy and familiarity with Office applications (MS Word, Excel)
- Foreign language skills and travel experience a huge plus
- Patience and a sense of humor
Assistant General Manager
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position which requires work schedule flexibility with weekends and holidays, as well as on-call availability.
An employer-paid benefits package is provided, including health, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, an employee assistance program and a health advocacy program, as well as holiday, vacation and sick pay. Employees receive free HI membership and free overnights at HI-USA hostels.
Please address the following questions in your cover letter and e-mail your résumé detailing your interest in this hostel management position by February 10, 2014 to Terika Tischer at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Résumés without a cover letter will not be considered. No attachments please.
Have you stayed in a hostel before? When are you available to start? Are there days/times you are unavailable to work? Do you have vacation plans or need time off in the next six months?
HI-USA is an equal opportunity employer.
Hostel Assistant (Live Out, Part-Time -- 20 Hours/Week), HI-Point Montara
The hostel is operated by HI-USA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting intercultural exchange, environmental stewardship, and world peace through hostelling. HI-Point Montara Lighthouse is a 50-bed hostel providing low-cost, short-term overnight accommodations for over 10,000 educational and recreational travelers each year. Additionally, the lighthouse has over 10,500 visitors each year.
This is a part-time (up to 20 hours a week) live-out Hostel Assistant position. Flexibility in your schedule is a plus!
The position requires extraordinary customer service and interpersonal communication skills.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Welcoming, registering, orienting, and supervising guests.
- Taking reservations via telephone, e-mail, and an online system.
- Responding to and resolving guest inquiries, issues, comments and feedback.
- Proficiently operating our computerized property management system.
- Maintaining security and safety of the hostel, grounds and personal belongings of guests.
- Providing information about HI-USA, the hostel, and the local area to guests and visitors.
- Housekeeping, laundry, maintenance and grounds-keeping duties.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
Qualified Candidates will possess a combination of the following experience, skills and education:
- Must have customer service experience and enjoy working with the public.
- Enthusiastic, dedicated, and trustworthy.
- GED or equivalent work-related experience.
- Excellent oral, communication, and organizational skills.
- Experience with PCs, MS Windows OS and the MS-Office Suite.
- Accurate, neat, and thorough record keeping with experience reconciling a daily cash drawer and inventory.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively without immediate supervision.
- Adaptability and willingness to do a variety of tasks.
- Conflict resolution skills and ability to act effectively in a crisis.
- Hostelling experience and support of the mission and goals of HI-USA.
- Must be flexible regarding work schedule; this position is for 20 hours a week (weekends and holidays)
Job conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to climb small ladders and step stools to work with overhead equipment, i.e. top bunks, dryers.
- Ability to carry, push, and pull laundry baskets, wheelbarrows, hand trucks and housekeeping carts.
- Ability to maintain an appropriate appearance as defined by management.
- Ability to work healthily in an environment that can be wet, windy, and dusty, with wildlife, molds, and other allergens.
Reports to: General Manager
Hours: up to 20 hours per week (part-time, non-exempt, hourly position). Must be willing to work holidays and weekends.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter to: email@example.com as a file attachment (.doc, .PDF, format only).
In your cover letter please describe, in detail, a situation in which you have had to overcome a communication barrier. Please include an explanation as to how you resolved the situation, and what you learned from it. Application deadline is February 1st, 2014, or until position is filled
Applicants who do not follow the stated directions will not be considered for the position.
Please no phone calls or walk-ins.
HI-USA is an equal opportunity employer.
Hostel Assistant (Live Out-- 24 hrs/wk) -- HI-Pigeon Point
HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse is looking for a Hostel Assistant (24 hours/week). The hostel is operated by Hostelling International USA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting intercultural exchange, environmental stewardship, and world peace through hostelling. The Golden Gate Council operates a network of eight hostels around Northern California, and also provides outdoor and intercultural educational programs for youth. HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse has 59 beds in dormitory-style and private rooms. The hostel serves 12,750 educational and recreational travelers annually, and is home to an environmental education program for schoolchildren.
The primary goal of the Hostel Assistant is to provide exceptional customer service to all hostel guests and visitors. The Hostel Assistant is adaptable and willing to help in all facets of operations including: welcoming and registering guest, taking reservations, housekeeping, facility maintenance and promoting the HI-USA mission to guests and visitors.
- Welcome, register, orient, and supervise guests,
- Respond to, and resolve, guest inquiries, issues, comments and feedback,
- Collect and accurately record overnight fees and sales of goods,
- Operate property management system,
- Take individual and group reservations by telephone, e-mail and managing reservations,
- Maintain security and safety of the hostel and personal belongings of guests.
- Provide information about HI-USA, the hostel, and the local area
- Provide on-call assistance in emergencies any time while on the hostel premises.
Additional duties include: Housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, grounds keeping duties, building and equipment maintenance, plumbing, bookkeeping, gardening, hot tub maintenance, inventory and stocking.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and enjoy working with the public,
- GED or equivalent work related experience,
- Excellent oral and written communication skills,
- Experience with PCs, MS Windows OS and the MS-Office Suite,
- Accurate, neat, and thorough record-keeping with experience handling cash and credit cards,
- Experience recording sales transactions and reconciling a daily cash drawer and inventory,
- Conflict resolution skills and ability to react effectively and quickly in a crisis without direction,
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively without supervision,
- First aid and CPR certification preferred (training may be provided),
- Familiarity of and experience with Hostelling,
- Must be flexible regarding work schedule — working evenings, early mornings, overnight on-call duty, holidays, weekends, overtime and emergencies may be required.
JOB CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. or more including a heavy hot tub cover.
- Ability to climb small ladders and step stools to work with overhead equipment, i.e. top bunk beds, dryers, light fixtures and smoke detectors.
- Ability to carry, push and pull laundry baskets, wheelbarrows, hand trucks and housekeeping carts.
The Hostel Assistant reports to the General Manager, however other duties and responsibilities may be required as directed by the General Manager, Operations Manager, Acting Managers and/or Executive Director
HOURS AND BENEFITS:
This is a 24-hour-per week, hourly, non-exempt position. Working evenings, early mornings, overnight on-call duty, holidays, and weekends may be required. Additional hours may be required to cover for employees on vacation, sick and/or for special projects up to 40 hours/week. Overtime may be required to accommodate guests checking-in late, for emergencies and/or special meetings.
Send resume and cover letter specific to this job to General Manager firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse, ATTN: Jeff Parry, 210 Pigeon Point Road, Pescadero, CA 94060.
HI-USA is an equal-opportunity employer.