Below is a list of job openings at HI-USA Golden Gate Council and our eight Northern California hostels. Please visit the national HI-USA website for employment opportunities elsewhere in the U.S.
- Front Desk Manager, HI-San Francisco Downtown
- Maintenance Technician and Sustainability Assistant, HI-Pigeon Point
- Live-in Hostel Assistant, HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse
Front Desk Manager, HI-San Francisco Downtown
Hostelling International USA is seeking a full-time Front Desk Manager for the San Francisco Downtown Hostel, located one block from Union Square. The hostel is operated by HI-USA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting intercultural exchange, environmental stewardship, and world peace through hostelling. HI-USA operates eight hostels in Northern California, and also provides outdoor and intercultural education programs for youth.
HI-San Francisco is a 340-bed hostel serving 30,000 guests annually. The number one responsibility for members of our staff is the safety and comfort of our guests. Anything that can be done to make the stay of each of our guests more enjoyable is given top priority.
The Front Desk Manager takes the lead in day-to-day front desk activities, ensuring excellent customer service to HI-San Francisco Downtown guests. This position is responsible for providing a welcoming atmosphere and ensuring guest and public contact at the front desk runs smoothly, efficiently and in accordance with hostel policy.
- Ensure safety and security of guests and their belongings
- Maintain high standards of customer service and accuracy
- Work with guests on a daily basis, professionally handling guest issues
- All day-to-day operations related to front desk (and entire facility on weekends)
- Staff hiring, training, scheduling, and discipline
- Manage front office expenses in accordance with occupancy and budget
- Inventory control and monthly reconciliation reports
- Supervise reception staff (of 10-12 people) to ensure all tasks are completed accurately and on time
- Develop a high degree of proficiency with our property management software
- Check and maintain accuracy of reservations , check-ins, and documentation
- Perform daily audit of accounting, cash reconciliation, and bank deposits on weekends and as needed
- Remain on-call to Front Desk staff after hours
- General reservations oversight for all booking sources
- Enter group reservations and interface with our Group Sales Department
- Work with Housekeeping Manager to ensure smooth hostel operations
- Work with Activities Coordinator to initiate and promote activities and events
- Maintain front desk organization, training materials, and manuals
- Regularly work weekends with flexibility to work evenings, nights, and holidays as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager and Assistant General Manager
- High degree of responsibility and motivation
- Excellent people skills and judgment
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously
- Familiarity with hospitality check-in and reservation systems/methods
- Two years front desk experience at hostel or related property
- Previous supervisory or leadership experience
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills; ability to act effectively in a crisis
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Computer literacy and familiarity with office applications (MS Word, Excel, Publisher)
- Foreign language and travel experience a big plus
- Patience and a sense of humor
Assistant General Manager
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position which requires work schedule flexibility with weekends and holidays, as well as on-call availability.
An employer-paid benefits package is provided, including health, dental, and vision insurance, as well as holiday, vacation, and sick pay. Employees receive free HI membership and free overnights at HI USA hostels.
Please e-mail a cover letter and résumé detailing your interest in this hostel management position by November 21, 2014, to Andy Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Maintenance Technician and Sustainability Assistant, HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse
HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse has 59 beds in both dormitory-style and private rooms. The property comprises 4 buildings, 12 rooms, 4 living rooms, 4 kitchens, 8 bathrooms, a hot tub, staff quarters, and a water well and tank. The hostel is located within a State Historic Park. The hostel serves 13,000 educational and recreational travelers annually, and is home to an environmental education program for school children, which operates six months a year. The hostel operates under HI USA and county sustainability requirements.
Maintenance Technician Responsibilities:
- 16 hours per week
- Maintain all hostel buildings, grounds, equipment, and furnishings in good repair at all times
- Ensure compliance with state and local building, health, and safety codes, HI Quality Standards, third-party and county eco-certification requirements
- Identify all on-going maintenance needs, prioritize and provide timely follow-through
- Formulate and administer preventative maintenance plan for entire site
- Report on and record tasks and maintain online check lists on daily and weekly basis
- Perform basic plumbing and electrical repairs and maintenance
- Perform basic carpentry projects including renovation of hostel buildings, fencing, etc.
- Prepare surfaces and paint interiors and exteriors of hostel buildings as needed
- Change and repair locks, deadbolts, laundry machines, vacuums and other hardware
- Repair roofs of all buildings as needed
- Maintain hot tub in good repair at all times including purchase of necessary supplies and compliance with county requirements
- Provide on-call assistance for emergencies at all times
- Repair and maintain equipment including purchase of necessary supplies
- Repair and maintain equipment including laundry machines, vacuums, stoves, refrigerators, hand and power tools, water heaters, small kitchen appliances, office machines, etc.
- Purchase tools and supplies required to perform job
- Keep workshop clean and organized
- Maintain accurate records of work performed
- Other duties as assigned by the Hostel Manager, Sustainability Coordinator and/or Operations Director
Maintenance Technician Qualifications:
- Experience in building trades or building maintenance field
- Demonstrated ability in plumbing installation and repair, minor electrical repair, rough and finish carpentry, painting, and roof repair
- Cooperative attitude and ability to work (and live) well with diverse group of people
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively without immediate supervision
- Accurate, neat and thorough record-keeping
- Flexibility regarding work schedule – working evenings, early mornings, holidays and weekends may be required
- Possession of a working vehicle, preferably a truck
- Hostelling experience and/or knowledge and appreciation for the mission of HI USA
This position will require a general interest in business sustainability management systems and sustainable tourism.
- 8 hours per week
- Lead preparation of the property level documentation, checklists, logs, etc. required for Sustainable Tourism Education Program™ (STEP) third-party Eco-Certification and the Bay Area County Green Business certification
- Collecting and entering data on a variety of sustainability and green-house-gas indicators
- Conducting property level waste audits
- Documenting non-toxic, biodegradable, local, certified organic, recycled and fair trade products used and/or sold on site
- Creating signage promoting local volunteer opportunities and sustainable tourism
- Editing HI-USA Sustainability Policy for use at property level
- Participating in external STEP Audit during the week of Sept 22, 2014
- Fulfill Bay Area County Green Business certification requirements
- Other related duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Ability to organize a wide range of information and data sets
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Proficiency in data entry, Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive
- General familiarity with databases and dashboards
- Ability to articulate high-level sustainability information both orally and in writing
- Ability to work professionally both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to coordinate workflow with Hostel Management and HI USA Sustainability Coordinator
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-past working environment
This is a 24-32 hour per week position; live off-site.
Submit cover letter with either résumé or application (call or pick-up at hostel office) to:
HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse
Jeff Parry, General Manager
210 Pigeon Point Road
Pescadero, CA 94060
HI-USA is an equal opportunity employer.
Live-in Hostel Assistant, HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse
HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse is looking for a Live-In Hostel Assistant (24 hours/week). The hostel is operated by Hostelling International USA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting intercultural exchange, environmental stewardship, and world peace through hostelling. We have a network of eight hostels around Northern California, and also provide outdoor and intercultural educational programs for youth. HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse has 59 beds in dormitory-style and private rooms. The hostel serves 12,750 educational and recreational travelers annually, and is home to an environmental education program for schoolchildren.
The primary goal of the Hostel Assistant is to provide exceptional customer service to all hostel guests and visitors. The Hostel Assistant is adaptable and willing to help in all facets of operations, including welcoming and registering guests, taking reservations, housekeeping, facility maintenance, and promoting the HI-USA mission to guests and visitors.
- Customer Service
- Welcome, register, orient, and supervise guests
- Respond to guest inquiries, issues, comments and feedback
- Collect and accurately record overnight fees and sales of goods
- Operate property management system
- Take individual and group reservations by telephone, e-mail and managing reservations
- Maintain security and safety of the hostel and personal belongings of guests
- Provide information about HI-USA, the hostel, and the local area
- Provide on-call assistance in emergencies any time while on the hostel premises
- Additional duties include: Housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, grounds-keeping duties, building and equipment maintenance, plumbing, bookkeeping, gardening, hot tub maintenance, inventory and stocking
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and enjoy working with the public
- GED or equivalent work-related experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with PCs, MS Windows OS and the MS Office Suite
- Accurate, neat, and thorough record-keeping with experience handling cash and credit cards,
- Experience recording sales transactions and reconciling a daily cash drawer and inventory
- Conflict-resolution skills and ability to react effectively and quickly in a crisis without direction
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively without supervision
- First aid and CPR certification preferred (training may be provided)
- Familiarity and experience with hostelling
- Must be flexible regarding work schedule — working evenings, early mornings, overnight on-call duty, holidays, weekends, overtime and emergencies may be required.
Job Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. or more including a heavy hot tub cover
- Ability to climb small ladders and step stools to work with overhead equipment, i.e. top bunk beds, dryers, light fixtures and smoke detectors
- Ability to carry, push and pull laundry baskets, wheelbarrows, hand trucks and housekeeping carts.
The Hostel Assistant reports to the General Manager, however other duties and responsibilities may be required as directed by the General Manager, Operations Manager, Acting Managers and/or Regional Vice President.
Hours and Benefits:
This is a substitute (24 hours per week), hourly, non-exempt position. Working evenings, early mornings, overnight on-call duty, holidays, and weekends may be required. Additional hours may be required to cover for employees on vacation or sick leave, and/or for special projects (up to 40 hours/week). Overtime may be required to accommodate guests checking in late, for emergencies and/or special meetings.
Send résumé and cover letter specific to this job to General Manager Jeff Parry at email@example.com , or mail to HI-Pigeon Point Lighthouse, ATTN: Jeff Parry, 210 Pigeon Point Road, Pescadero, CA 94060.
HI-USA is an equal opportunity employer.