Below is a list of job openings at the HI USA Northwest Regional Office and our eight Northern California hostels. Please visit the national HI USA website for employment opportunities elsewhere in the U.S.
- Full-Time Guest Service Associate, HI Marin Headlands
- Part-Time Group Sales Coordinator, Northwest Central Office
- Live-In Hostel Assistant, HI Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel
HI Marin Headlands
Full Time Guest Service Associate
HI Marin Headlands is hiring! We are a 107-bed hostel operated by the Northwest Region of Hostelling International USA, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting intercultural exchange, environmental stewardship, and world peace through hostelling. The region operates ten hostels around Northern California and Oregon, and also provides outdoor and intercultural education programs for youth. HI Marin Headlands is housed in two historic buildings in the Marin Headlands, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge and within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. We are in need of a proactive and energetic guest service associate.
FRONT DESK RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide a welcoming atmosphere, while maintaining a clean and secure facility.
- Act as a representative of Hostelling International USA and promote its mission and goals in a positive and professional manner.
- Provide quality customer service and information.
- Register guests in accordance with a POS operating system.
- Accurately record payment and registration information with strong attention to detail.
- Provide reservation information in person and over the phone, including taking individual reservations, cancellations and changes.
- Offer detailed information and reservation assistance with Hostelling International hostels in the Northwest region.
- Multi-task and remain calm in stressful situations.
- Work honorably and efficiently without constant direct supervision.
- Complete extra projects self-initiated or assigned by the General Manager and Assistant General Manager.
- Provide on-call assistance in emergencies any time while on the hostel premises.
- Responsible for returning the hostel to a sanitary condition that will make the evening’s guests comfortable.
- Clean kitchens, bathrooms, guestrooms, common areas, and grounds of the hostel.
- Complete special deep cleaning projects self-initiated or assigned by a manager.
- Perform a daily “bed check” to insure that the required numbers of beds are available for that evening’s guest.
- Daily cleaning duties including, but not limited to vacuuming, stocking linens, laundry, cleaning of guest rooms, bathrooms and common areas
- This position requires the physical ability to perform any task associated with operation of the hostel, lift up to 50 lbs and to stand for long periods of time.
- Positive, up-beat, and willing attitude
- Time management and multi-tasking skills a must!
- Eager to work as part of a team
- Commitment to sustainable and environmentally conscious practices
- Open and flexible availability
- Experience with cash handling, reservation/POS systems, customer service, and cleaning duties a plus
REPORTS TO: General Manager
HOURS: 28-40 hours per week depending on season and vacation coverage for other co workers. This position necessitates work in early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays, as well as on-site/on-call overnight duties. Flexibility in scheduling is needed. Guest Service Associates work a combination of both desk and cleaning shifts.
Desk shift hours:7:30a.m.-3:30p.m., 3:30p.m. – 11:30p.m.
Cleaning shift hours vary per season.
Guest Service Associates may choose to live on or off site. As part of their compensation, employees are offered housing (a wage differential is provided for live-out staff). The hostel consists of two federally owned historic buildings under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. Because of this all HI Marin Headland’s employees must be willing to follow the rules of safety and sanitation dictated by Hostelling International and the National Park Service.
Living on site with fellow staff members is a rewarding but sometimes challenging situation; it is important that employees be respectful of fellow staff/housemates. It is required of each live-in employee to keep the staff house and grounds at a high level of cleanliness at all times. Significant others are not permitted to live on site with employees.
Staff members are eligible to receive holiday and vacation pay, as well as health benefits including medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, acupuncture. These benefits are prorated to the hours worked per week.
Please send in your cover letter and resume to:
No phone calls, please. Resumes sent without a cover letter will not be considered.
Hostelling International USA (HI USA) is seeking a Group Sales Coordinator to support the group sales efforts of its three San Francisco hostels, as well as HI Marin Headlands, HI Point Reyes, and HI Sacramento, by performing administrative duties. This position will be responsible for assisting the Group Sales Manager in coordinating group reservations and ensuring quality service for groups, as well as helping with the onboarding of three new hostels in the near future.
From San Francisco to Point Reyes, Sacramento to the San Mateo coast, HI USA hostels provide quality accommodations and educational programs to some 200,000 people from more than 100 countries every year. Our hostels make travel more affordable and accessible for everyone, and provide unique lodging in sought‐after destinations. HI hostels are not just enjoyable places to stay — they’re also places to foster a stronger global community. Our mission is to promote intercultural understanding and environmental stewardship through travel, whether through our Green Hostels Project, World Travel 101 workshops, or youth programs like Outdoor Hostel Adventures, Cultural Kitchen, and the Community Walls mural project.
- Maintain communication with the Group Sales Manager and hostels
- Respond to all calls, e‐mails, faxes, and on‐site inquiries from potential group business through established procedures
- Ensure no leads are abandoned and all calls/e‐mails/faxes are responded to
- Educate group contacts about hostelling and determine properties that fit client needs
- Maintain positive relationships with all group leaders
- Maintain client files including correspondence, credit card info and signed contracts
- Make changes (adding/subtracting beds, cancelling reservations) and bill accordingly
- Make note of special needs for groups (wheelchair access, etc.)
- Communicate with hostels on status of group information
- Coordinate with hostel management staff to maintain seamless booking process
- Tabulate and record group overnights and revenues on monthly reports
- Work cooperatively with hostel, regional, and national staff members in a manner consistent with a team philosophy
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Excellent professional writing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and collaborate with diverse personalities
- Ability to verbally communicate effectively
- Heightened organizational skills
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Excel (generate reports and use functions)
- Demonstrated passion for travel and experience as a budget traveler
- Familiarity with HI USA’s Northern California hostels
- Demonstrated sales experience
- Hospitality experience a plus
- Ability to work independently
To apply, please send resume firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Part-time Group Sales Coordinator in the subject line.
Live-In Hostel Assistant, HI Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel
Once in a lifetime opportunity!
This is a full-time (35-40 hours a week), live-in Hostel Assistant position – a challenging, but rewarding lifestyle.
The position requires extraordinary customer service and interpersonal communication skills.
This is a live-work position, sharing housing with other full-time staff and a management team.
The hostel is operated by HI USA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting intercultural exchange, environmental stewardship, and world peace through hostelling.
HI Point Montara Lighthouse is a 50-bed hostel located on a 5 acre historic lighthouse property we host around 25,000 people annually; a combination of overnight hostel guests and day visitors.
For more information and to apply, follow this link!
HI USA is an equal opportunity employer.