Below is a list of job openings at the HI USA Northwest Regional Office and our eight Northern California hostels. Please visit the national HI USA website for employment opportunities elsewhere in the U.S.
- Live-Out Hostel Assistant, HI Point Montara
Live-Out Hostel Assistant, HI Point Montara
The hostel is operated by HI-USA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting intercultural exchange, environmental stewardship, and world peace through hostelling. HI-Point Montara Lighthouse is a 50-bed hostel providing affordable, short-term overnight accommodations for over 11,000 educational and recreational travelers each year. Additionally, the lighthouse property has over 12,000 visitors each year.
This is a part-time (18-32 hours a week), live-out Hostel Assistant position – a challenging, but rewarding career.
The position requires extraordinary customer service and interpersonal communication skills.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Welcome, register, orient and supervise guests.
- Take individual and group reservations by telephone, e-mail and an online system.
- Responding to and resolving guest inquiries, issues, comments and feedback.
- Proficiently operate our property management system.
- Maintain security and safety of the hostel, grounds and personal belongings of guests.
- Provide information about HI-USA, the hostel and the local area to guests and visitors.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events and fundraising.
- Support and participate in the Sustainability commitment of HI-USA
- Housekeeping, Laundry, maintenance and grounds keeping duties.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
Qualified Candidates will possess a combination of the following experience, skills and education:
- Must have customer service experience and enjoy working with the public.
- GED or equivalent work related experience.
- Excellent oral, communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with PCs, Google, MS Windows OS and the MS-Office Suite
- Accurate, neat, and thorough recordkeeping, with experience reconciling a daily cash drawer and inventory.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively without immediate supervision.
- Adaptability and willingness to do a variety of tasks including housekeeping, grounds keeping and maintenance.
- Conflict resolution skills and ability to act effectively in a crisis.
- Hostelling experience and support of the mission and goals of HI-USA.
- Must have a high tolerance and passion for working with the public, be enthusiastic, dedicated and trustworthy.
Job conditions and Physical Requirements Must be able to:
- Stand for extended periods of time.
- Lift up to 20 lbs.
- Climb small ladders and step stools to work with overhead equipment, i.e. top bunks, dryers.
- Ability to carry, push and pull laundry baskets, wheelbarrows, hand trucks and housekeeping carts.
- Ability to maintain an appropriate appearance as defined by management.
- Ability to work healthily in an ocean front environment that can be wet, windy, and dusty with wildlife, molds, fungus, and other allergens.
Reports to: General Manager
Hours and Benefits: 18-32 hours per week (part-time, non-exempt, hourly position)
Liberal benefits include vacation, holiday and sick pay, dental and health insurance.
To apply for this position:
Please submit a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com (.doc, .PDF, formats only).
In your cover letter please describe, in detail, a situation in which you have had to overcome a communication barrier.Please include an explanation as to how you resolved the situation, and what you learned from it. Applicants, who do not strictly follow the stated criteria, will not be considered for the position.
Please no phone calls or walk-ins.
HI-USA is an equal opportunity employer.